Glossary of Wire Type Terminology
- Flat Wire: SPT: Stranded, Parallel, Thermoplastic
This is always followed by a -1, -2 or -3, signifying insulation thickness for different applications.
- HPN: Heater, Parallel, Neoprene
Required for heater-type application, such as irons, toasters, etc.
NOTE: Electri-Cord can run some 20 AWG, but mostly we run 18, 16 and 14 AWG, 2 or 3 conductors.
- P = Parallel Wire (Flat).
- S = Stranded (or Service Wire)
- J = Junior Service (300 Volt). If no “J” is in the wire type, then it is a hard service (600 Volt).
- T = Thermoplastic. If no “T” is in the wire type, then it has a rubber jacket.
- O = Oil-Resistant Compound
- W = Weather-Resistant Compound
- V = Vacuum (as in vacuum cleaner). This is a small O.D. jacketed wire, very flexible and initially used for vacuum cleaners but now used on many different types of products. Available only in 18 AWG.
- SV = Stranded Vacuum Rubber Jacketed (NO “T”)
- SJT = Stranded Junior Thermoplastic
- SJTOW = Stranded Junior Thermoplastic, Oil and Weather resistant for UL and CSA.
- S.P. = Surface Printed
- N.M. = Non-Migratory compound to prevent the wire color from bleeding under unusual circumstances.
- VW-1 = Vertical Flame test (formerly FR-1)
- IEC, ICC = International Color Code on the inner conductors (Blue, Brown, Green w/Yellow Stripe)
- N.A. = North American Color Code on the inner conductors (Black, White, Green)
- 41/34 = Stranding specification format (41 strands of 34 AWG wire for each inner conductor)
- T.C. = Tinned Copper inner conductors
- RIBBED = Outer jacket is striated with ribs
- R/S or W/S = Red or White Stripe for visual polarity inspection on Flat wire
- 60°C = Standard rating (except HPN =90°C)
- 105°C = Electri-Cord’s alternate rating
(we normally don’t stock 75°, 90°C)
Inner Conductor Colors
|Function||North American (NA)||International (ICC)|
|Earth (Ground)||Green||Green w/Yellow Stripe|
Metric Conversion Chart:
|Metric Conversion Chart|
|Metric to Standard||Standard to Metric|
|25.4 mm per inch
305 mm per foot
.305 M per foot
1.61 KM per mile
|.03937 inches per mm
39.37 inches per meter
3.28 feet per meter
.622 miles per KM